One of the world’s best lawyers and the US Supreme Court’s Former Associate Justice, Ruth Bader Ginsburg died on September 18th of complications of Pancreatic cancer.

Ruth Bader Ginsburg was elected to the Supreme Court by President Bill Clinton on June 14th, 1993. She was only the second woman to serve in the US Supreme Court, and boy did she leave a mark. In a time where the Feminist movement was just beginning, it was difficult to bag a position that had been dominated by men for so long. And yet, Justice Ginsburg succeeded. Every case she handled, was a victory for Gender Equality.

She managed three of the four major cases related to Women’s Rights in America, winning all of them. She wrote strongly worded dissents and was not afraid to share her opinions. “I dissent” became R.B.G’s punchline. Her initials became a hashtag for every feminist around the world. When the world said she couldn’t, she showed everyone that she could. Her rulings were absolute. She knew what was right, and she fought for it.

One of her quotes that inspired me the most was “Dissents speak to a future age. It’s not simply to say, ‘My colleagues are wrong and I would do it this way.’ But the greatest dissents do become court opinions and gradually over time, their views become the dominant view. So that’s the dissenter’s hope: that they are writing not for today, but for tomorrow.”

An icon. That was what she was. She wore extravagant collars to court, and she did twenty pushups even at the age of eighty. (I can’t even do five, and I’m thirteen!!!!).
She was, and will always be amazing. Justice Ginsburg is not with us in her mortal existence today, but she’ll stay with us forever. She’ll stay with every kid who found hope in her, with the American Senate, who was so lucky to have seen someone like her. She’ll stay with all of us.

Everyone deserves a champion, an idol. She was mine. Rest in peace, RBG. You left behind a legacy. You’ll be remembered forever.

print