This year has flown by – literally. It feels like yesterday when I was stressing over my pre-boards, crying about how under-prepared I was. Now, the year is about to end – another chapter is about to close, and I haven’t had enough time to process it. 

I remember Grad Night at the beginning of this year – how I felt like I would never be able to leave Loyola. I couldn’t believe that amidst the awards and hymns and candles, my journey with Loyola was ending. I was convinced that I would never be able to survive KiiT, let alone like it. KiiT and Loyola were two worlds with contrasting cultures and ethoses; how could those two worlds ever coexist? 

Fast-forward to today – Loyola and KiiT are two parts of the same whole, I’ve understood. The students aren’t so different either – ultimately, we are all just teenagers trying to figure out our places in the world. I have realised that I can be both a Loyolean and a KiiTian, and that I can be proud of both my identities at once – that loving both does not make me a traitor to either. 

So this year was one of revelation and resolution. From thinking I would not be able to make new friends, to finding a family at KiiT. From being scared of leaving old friends behind, to ensuring no friendship was forgotten. From representing my school at national competitions, to travelling alone for the first time . From being obsessed with literature, to finding a new fascination in the Indian polity. From attending my first MUN, to leading a Literary Festival.
From being afraid of change, to embracing it with open arms. 

This year was one of learning – both about myself and about the world. I learnt what it meant to push myself to be the best. That progress requires patience, and that every small step mattered. I realised that my limits were self-determined, and that it was up to me to redefine them when the time comes.
That the world was, truly, my oyster. 

I gave over fifty speeches this year. I met people from across the country – all immensely talented and extremely promising. I lost some old friends, made some new ones. Met some expectations, and exceeded others. Cried for hours on end, and laughed harder. 

Everything came full circle. 

2023 was a big year for me by all metrics, and I could not be more grateful for all that happened – for the opportunities, the memories, the milestones. To my friends and my family, thank you for being by my side through it all – I could not have done any of it without you. 

So as we move forward, I hope 2024 brings with it peace and prosperity. I hope we find what we are looking for. I hope the stars shine a little brighter on all of us.

print